Re: List posting rules

From: Marcel
Subject: Re: List posting rules
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 04:08:36 +0700

On 11/3/19 2:01 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> I agree that I likely exhibit bias, to that end we have invited others
> to moderate.

It is not a problem to be solved by the number of censors; censorship
will always be abused by the censors, however many choose to participate.

Pre-moderation is a euphemism for censorship and it deserves a place in
RMS's personal anti-glossary and in the dustbin of reactionary history.

> I don't see why I should not be a moderator. Everyone has some kind of
> bias. Moderation is a difficult task.

Censorship, if used at all, should be used for extremely serious cases,
not to suit the personal agenda of the censors. Sadly--and you can open
a history book and let it be the judge--it has often been used by petty
dictators.

To paraphrase Landier's 1997 essay on Internet censorship as written on
Wikipedia's page on censorship:

"...those who impose censorship must consider what they censor to be
true, as individuals believing themselves to be correct would welcome
the opportunity to disprove those with opposing views."

> I have indicated to Marcel that if he wishes to repost messages for
> review that the moderators (4 of us) are willing to review it again.

You censored twelve of my messages.