Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 17:06:41 +0100

* Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> [2019-11-02 17:04]:
> Thanks for saying so clearly what I believe many of us feel.

Comments on Internet clearly show that only minority of those who you
generalize as "many of us" believe that. By using generalization you
are inflating the number of people. It is simply incorrect, not
factual and not true.

And that small minority of people have got such a big slap on
Internet.

If you wish that I show you comments, let me know. I need not repeat
the links on this mailing list as it does not work to your benefit.

But I am asking you to be factual, and not to generalize.

> And for expressing why this is all so incredible hard. For many of
> us rms his Free Software vision and his early work making that
> happen have been an inspiration. And for some of us GNU has been
> like family. Although a bit of a dysfunctional family with constant
> struggles and minor (or major) quarrels about who is really
> responsible for what. For too long we have kept all that to
> ourselves, only complaining in private, not wanting to rock the boat
> or admit that our happy GNU family was actually stressing us
> out. The events from 2 months ago suddenly caused all this to become
> very public, in a way that I believe makes none of us proud.

GNU was not a project to create a happy family.

It is about free operating system.

And in any happy family you listen to your father with respect.

There is no analogy there. As a moderator, you can do something better
but play with emotions of people.

> He still volunteers as the GNU maintainer of emacs and gnustandards
> packages.

So far I know, he is founder of GNU project and father of free
software philosophy.

He does not "volunteer", he is author and founder. His participation
in a specific software project is not measure to use when thinking of
RMS. Obviously you have got things wrong, and now you are spreading
incorrect information.

Even if RMS himself would say that he is nothing else in GNU project
but "volunter" I would say it would be a ridiculous joke.

> And the FSF is now looking for input on what the relationship with
> GNU should be with respect to fiscal sponsorship, technical
> infrastructure, promotion, copyright assignment, and volunteer
> management.

Those issues are factual and finally objects to solve, but before
solving those, one shall know where is specifically a problem. As none
of those specific problems was presented.

> While acknowledging and sharing your views on the public impact this
> has had on the GNU project and all of us, I still hope we can do this
> together and turn GNU around to make us all proud again to belong to
> that organization.

Purpose of GNU project so far I know and understood was not to make
all of you proud. It was to create free operating system.