Re: Support for RMS and criticism of the bottom-up/social contract power

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support for RMS and criticism of the bottom-up/social contract power grab attempt.
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 15:57:32 +0100

* Alexandre François Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> [2019-11-04 15:10]:
> Le lundi 4 novembre 2019 15:05:02 CET, vous avez écrit :
> > Myself I do not see any real problem in gender cap, as it is something
> > one cannot really control. It indicates that society's type and its
> > culture is generaly to blame for gendera gaps. Maybe there are
> > sucessful actions to learn from Saudi Arabia where women in computing
> > reserve whole 59%
>
> Really interesting indeed.  Now is to know if the culture difference hints
> the
> good thing in the women personality, or in the work/education environment
> that
> surrounds them…

There is some disparity always, those are not issues of specific
projects such as GNU. It just happen that Stallman have started it
from USA.

Of course that gender disparity or discrimination has historical
reasons. Yet all those subjects are beyond GNU project, especially for
reason that everybody is welcome.

Instead of thinking theoretically, just do it practically, install
free operating system to your female neighbor, and eat same cakes in
exchange. As that is exactly what I did with one of my female
landlords. It is so simple, just do something practically, for
example, explain to your female friends about free software philosophy
and let them bust their proprietary operating systems.

In my business I do not know if we had more women or man, probably
little bit more men, but we are about same. I don't choose people by
their gender, I choose them by their dedication and skills. By their
understanding of the subject in question and ability to apply it.

> > There is disparity even though companies make campaigns to welcome
> > everybody or establish policies against discrimination of any kind.
>
> Indeed, that shows it’s a difficult problem.

I don't see it as difficult problem and it is not problem of a GNU
project, and anybody who wish to help is welcome to invite new people
to contribute to GNU. Here is your reference:
https://www.gnu.org/help/help.en.html

You may help by browsing through your contacts and inviting people to
help GNU project. Translations are also good.

> > [computer users group]?
>
> I’m unfortunately not a that social person.  I can be good but ti takes too
> much energy to keep going in the long run.  I’ve known some groups on Paris,
> loosely, and briefly, and some hackerspaces in both Paris and here in Brest,
> that’s all.  I don’t participate enough to see that (except I saw a
> hackerspace in Paris, the Loop, divide and explodes for many political and
> governances reasons among which gender issues).

You said it, it is dividing people. It is good to simple be welcoming
to everybody and promoting whatever causes a group has. If group has
cause to help users then one shall not introduce other politics for
the same reason that such would divide people apart.

My side is that any friend I meet who requires help with computer
would get from me a free installation of GNU operating system and free
removal of the virus (Windows). Both women and men are using such
computer in their house. I don't look into gender, it is not related,
and both genders will use the computer.

Please just think, would there be 300 men making a software project
(not true, this is hypothetical, for those who understand only
literall meanings), they are workers, making it also for their women,
sisters, girlfriends, friends, daughters, mothers, grandmothers and
female neighbors. Thus even if all are men, does it really matter? As
in the end, the more males are using GNU free operating system, the
more females will use it too, that is automatically.

I am sure that every one GNU user who ever installed GNU system for a
friend could easily teach female friends how to use the system.

There is no specific problem of discrimination in GNU.

Please get enlightenment by watching the statistics here:
https://flowingdata.com/2017/09/11/most-female-and-male-occupations-since-1950/

The problem you are speaking about is fictional and so large that
cannot be solved specifically, not by any type of French revolution
and not by particular efforts.

And if you wish to solve such problem, then please try solving it from
the end, try solving why pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters and
steamfitters have such large gender gap. Try adressing automotive
services, technicians, and mechanics to solve the problem.

On the other hand try to get a job as a male childcare worker or
preschool and kindergarten teacher and you will understand what I
mean.

Computing and software subjects are not in the danger zone of the
gender gap. Try adressing construction laborers and companies and
solving the issue there.