Re: list moderation

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: list moderation
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 12:45:57 +0000

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> A bit more than 24 hours later, two things have become clear to me: that
> Mark and Carlos were indeed doing a good moderation job, and that by not
> doing any moderation, you’ve opened the flood gates and silenced the
> rest of us.
>
> In that time we got ~100 messages, the majority of which were written by
> the same 3 people.  Worse, many of those messages were personal attacks,
> and many others were off-topic for this list.

Don't misrepresent the situation.

Ruben was placed under indefinite moderation for his attacks.  The
attacks took place overnight while I was asleep (he's obviously in a
different time zone).  So, since I started actively moderating, which
requires being awake, things have been pretty peaceful.

Another user is under moderation for incessant off-topic, hateful posts
as well as a lot of cross-posting (which we depend on the other
subscribers to help fight; some of his moderated messages were quoted
anyway due to cross-posting and/or CC'ing others).

That's it.  If someone attacks, harasses or is otherwise abusive towards
anyone, be it another subscriber or rms (let's not have elephants in
this room), they will be placed under moderation until the situation
cools down.  This is not a place to discuss other people.  This is a
place to discuss GNU.  The previous moderation efforts failed in that
regard, and did so in a particularly biased manner.

I will not place the list back under emergency moderation unless
everyone collectively loses their minds.  Everyone has a chance to prove
themselves to be civil, and even those who have previously been unkind
can have the chance to show that they can improve.

Your messages require moderator action simply because you're not
actually subscribed to the list.  I have not silenced you but if you
want your messages to go through quicker, I invite you to subscribe.
You are welcome to continue to discuss whatever "governance" issues you
would like here, but we are under no obligation to cultivate that as the
new raison d'etre of gnu-misc-discuss nor to acknowledge it as carrying
any priority over any other discussion that takes place here.

--
-brandon