Re: list moderation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: list moderation
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 16:34:00 +0100

Hi Brandon,

Brandon Invergo <brandon@gnu.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
>> A bit more than 24 hours later, two things have become clear to me: that
>> Mark and Carlos were indeed doing a good moderation job, and that by not
>> doing any moderation, you’ve opened the flood gates and silenced the
>> rest of us.
>>
>> In that time we got ~100 messages, the majority of which were written by
>> the same 3 people.  Worse, many of those messages were personal attacks,
>> and many others were off-topic for this list.
>
> Don't misrepresent the situation.
>
> Ruben was placed under indefinite moderation for his attacks.  The
> attacks took place overnight while I was asleep (he's obviously in a
> different time zone).  So, since I started actively moderating, which
> requires being awake, things have been pretty peaceful.

I’m surprised it’s news to you that Ruben (among others) is attacking
people personally; that’s something you could have learned from the
previous moderators.

> Another user is under moderation for incessant off-topic, hateful posts
> as well as a lot of cross-posting (which we depend on the other
> subscribers to help fight; some of his moderated messages were quoted
> anyway due to cross-posting and/or CC'ing others).

Good.

> That's it.  If someone attacks, harasses or is otherwise abusive towards
> anyone, be it another subscriber or rms (let's not have elephants in
> this room), they will be placed under moderation until the situation
> cools down.  This is not a place to discuss other people.  This is a
> place to discuss GNU.  The previous moderation efforts failed in that
> regard, and did so in a particularly biased manner.

How did it fail?  What do you suggest regarding elephants in this room?
Who are you accusing of what, to be clear?

I’m baffled that you can be so assertive and dismissive of the
moderation work that was done before (which I can only guess was no
fun!).  I would have loved to read your answers to my other questions to
better understand your viewpoint.

> Your messages require moderator action simply because you're not
> actually subscribed to the list.  I have not silenced you but if you
> want your messages to go through quicker, I invite you to subscribe.
> You are welcome to continue to discuss whatever "governance" issues you
> would like here, but we are under no obligation to cultivate that as the
> new raison d'etre of gnu-misc-discuss nor to acknowledge it as carrying
> any priority over any other discussion that takes place here.

Sure, we’ll talk about governance (no quotes) as much as possible,
meaning as much as the signal-to-noise ratio doesn’t prevent that.
Governance is very much on-topic for this list.

Thanks,
Ludo’.