Re: Is negative publicity always harmful? (was: Women and GNU and RMS)

From: Andreas
Subject: Re: Is negative publicity always harmful? (was: Women and GNU and RMS)
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 22:34:44 +0100

On Tue, 2019-11-05 at 16:02 -0500, Thompson, David wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 3:44 PM Andreas <avr@softwarelibre.nl> wrote:
>
> > To avoid that it's best to just leave it, as suggested, or else
> > make a
> > serious and well-founded claim and illustrate how it impacts GNU
> > and
> > its functions. I think anything else at this moment in time is
> > simply
> > detrimental to GNU and any discourse around it.
>
> Maybe this would be a reasonable request if we ignored all the
> context
> of what has transpired in the past month or so (which, we must not
> forget, was just the straw that broke the camel's back after *years*
> of problematic behavior)

just facts please.

> , but given the context I think this is
> nothing more than gaslighting.  There is no honest need for me, or
> anyone else, to rehash the issues as if they haven't already been
> cited numerous times by others.

Given *this* context--the context of the misc-discuss list of the GNU
project and not the wider sphere of social networks or even the FSF--
(intellectual) honesty is very much needed.

What has the current chief GNUisance said or done that makes him
unsuitable for his role of providing guidance in matters of software
freedom and interpreting the four software freedoms as pertaining to
GNU software and licensing?

If no such reason exists, there really should be no point in rehashing
any unrelated issues or personal opinions on those issues, and it would
be best to just leave it be since it's needlessly divisive in the
current context.

 -Andreas