Re: list moderation

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: list moderation
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 03:02:01 +0100

Le mardi 5 novembre 2019, 22:17:07 CET Brandon Invergo a écrit :

> We do have a problem with someone under moderation who is sending

> messages off-list. It probably would have happened eventually anyway,

> no matter who was moderating. Anyway, I do not know how to moderate

> that. If you have suggestions on how to handle it, I'm all ears.

Suing senders of possible harassment would be the de facto social solution on a legal ground.

Make mailing-list software censor the mail address of *anybody* communicating through the mailing list would prevent such thing to happen to more people in the future (this could be advertised as a “anti-harassment feature”). Some “user-friendly” high-level and poorly made software already do this by default (so to avoid DKIM issues).

Then the list would force itself as centralized unavoidable intermediary for all communication between third parties, unless active countermeasures (addressbooks or search engines) are used.

I strongly oppose this solution. It consist in centralization and authoritarism, as well as breaking mail even more.