Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 03:29:50 +0100

Le mercredi 6 novembre 2019, 00:36:29 CET Jean Louis a écrit :
> * John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> [2019-11-05 23:26]:
> > He’s correct, I do not share the GNU philosophy, even if I enjoy
> > supporting the technical aspects of the software they produce.
>
> Yet you do allow as Emacs maintainer publishing of free software
> improvements into Emacs?
>
> That implies you do share one big chunk of the GNU philosophy, maybe
> you wanted to say you don't share all of the GNU philosophy, but as
> Emacs maintainer you already do for good deal of it.
>
> Am I wrong?

Yes, he’s only following a licence and accepting help.  Developing software
collaboratively is not “big chunk of the GNU philosophy”, because that can be
done with and within proprietary software (what is important is this being
possible for everyone, in the specific case maybe not even collaboratively but
individually on its own, or fighting all the day arguing, as they want).