Re: list moderation

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: list moderation
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 11:59:04 +0000

Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> I feel bad that you’re characterizing us this way.  You’re talking about
> people who’ve dedicated many years or their lives to GNU (more than you
> did!) and still pour huge amounts of energy into it.
>
> That you disagree with what we do is fine; that you accuse us of
> attacking GNU is not.  It’s not even plausible to anyone who’s been
> following along.  We all *are* GNU.
>
> As for the disagreement itself: it’s also a surprise to me.  We met on a
> couple of GHMs.  In particular, in 2011 in Paris, we had discussions
> about governance not unlike those we’re having now; at the time I recall
> you were part of the discussions and not seeing anyone “taking arms.”
>
> It’s OK if you view things differently now, but I would prefer if you
> would use more nuanced wording when describing the actions of others.
> We have different views, but we’re working for the betterment of GNU.

I'm sorry I chose the wording "taking up arms" as it was a blunt
mischaracterization.  There is a lot of emotion right now and it is
difficult to express it properly sometimes.  I have made better
will now just add to those my supreme disappointment at the level of
divisiveness within the GNU community now compared to two months ago.

Also, it is true that you and the others have been involved longer than
me, but please do not in turn minimize the time and effort I have
invested in GNU, especially in the thankless, mundane, boring
behind-the-scenes work that I've been doing (at the constant edge of
burnout) so that everyone else can just keep on hacking.  And yes, my
views have evolved since I have become more involved in GNU in
non-maintainership tasks and I understand more about the overall project
and the reality of keeping it running.  I would hope that those views
are valuable to others, should anyone be curious to listen.

And that's the last I'm going to say on this list about the current
situation.

--
-brandon