A purely GNU system? (Was: A GNU “social contract”?)

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: A purely GNU system? (Was: A GNU “social contract”?)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 13:39:46 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 04:06:42PM -0500, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> This would exclude those cases where we might want to distribute
> something under a non-copyleft license for strategical reasons.  Not a
> GNU project case, but a good example, when RMS argued that Ogg/Vorbis
> would be better served under a permissive license than a copyleft
> license, as a means to replace MP3.

thanks for the good point, that is hopefully addressed by Ludovic's
suggestions.

> The GNU system isn't just GNU packages, there are many non-GNU
> packages that also make up the GNU system, that the GNU project
> doesn't develop.

Also a good point. This is clarified in the next point of the social
contract, but the order somehow needs to be corrected, maybe also as
suggested by Ludovic.

Now, some musing, which motivated me to change the subject line into a new
thread: I am wondering how functional a system is that contains only GNU
packages? It will lack a graphical environment, but with grub, hurd, glibc
and all other low level projects and the toolchain, emacs, it looks to me
as if we still have a functional system. Or am I missing something?

Andreas