Re: A purely GNU system?

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: A purely GNU system?
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 15:15:16 -0600

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 2:32 PM Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
* Andreas Enge:

> Now, some musing, which motivated me to change the subject line into
> a new thread: I am wondering how functional a system is that
> contains only GNU packages? It will lack a graphical environment,
> but with grub, hurd, glibc and all other low level projects and the
> toolchain, emacs, it looks to me as if we still have a functional
> system. Or am I missing something?

Is glibc purely GNU?  It borrows code from a variety of sources and
was not written completely from scratch.  (Although there are many
parts which are unique to glibc, too.)

What about GNU tar?  It started out as pdtar.

GCC shares a lot of libraries and components with other projects which are not necessarily GNU.

--joel