Re: GNU Kind Communication Guidelines versus social contract or Codes of

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: GNU Kind Communication Guidelines versus social contract or Codes of Conduct
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 16:17:26 +0530

Dear Ludovic,

* Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> [2019-11-11 15:44]:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> skribis:
>
> > You are very, very wrong.  We are trying very hard to stay within GNU,
> > but the feedback we have received so far on GNU mail lists suggests
> > that we are not wanted here.
>
> There is a part of GNU that includes myself that really wants you (you
> personally, as well as the projects you contribute to) to stay within GNU.
>
> The dynamics I’ve observed over the last decade is that people who’d
> like GNU to be more welcoming, more transparent, and/or community-run,
> would eventually give up and silently leave.  I’ve seen brilliant people
> leave, and for me, enough is enough.
>
> We are legitimate members of the project, and we have legitimate
> demands.  Let’s work together on shaping this new GNU!
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Those are generalizations. You are introducing fears, doubts and
uncertainties.

I don't think that GNU management shall be given to people who are not
specific in their public statements. That would ruin any project and
any organization.

> The dynamics I’ve observed over the last decade is that people who’d
> like GNU to be more welcoming, more transparent, and/or community-run,
> would eventually give up and silently leave.  I’ve seen brilliant people
> leave, and for me, enough is enough.

I have reviewed all your websites, before last few months, there was
nothing that you ever mentioned about that.

As you have brought that into public mailing list, could you be now
very specific, and bring the fact into public:

- who left? Do you have nicknames, email address? Is there public
  evidence of it?

- which exact reason was stated? Is there public evidence of it?

- did the person try to solve the issue before leaving? How and with
  whom?

Please be specific. By using generalizations such as "over the last
decade" or "people" you are introducing fears, doubts and
uncertainties.

Could you be so friendly to tell us which are those people?

If you remember, when I was writing about the people who were
discouraged by your public shamings in the Guix project, I have stated
exactly their nick names, and references to specific IRC logs. Do you
remember?

To remind you, read here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2019-11/msg00273.html

I was specific to point out that there were few instances of few
persons discouraged of contributing to Guix for reasons of your public
shaming of Dr. Stallman. We could also say they were discouraged of
contributing to GNU overall.

Please be specific to point out what you referenced? Those "people",
"over decade"?

Jean