Re: Why "GNU/Linux" is not accepted: an observation

From: Akira Urushibata
Subject: Re: Why "GNU/Linux" is not accepted: an observation
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 06:48:18 +0900 (added by address@hidden)

On Saturday I attended an "open source" event in Fukuoka, western
Japan.  I visited the booth of an organization named LinuC which
conducts exams and issues certificates to those who pass.

I had glanced through at one of the textbooks they recommend.  It
said that Linux started in 1991.  It did not make clear that the Linux
kernel was built upon existing GNU software.

I pointed out that "Linux", strictly speaking, is just the kernel and
different from what is commonly referred to "Linux."  This remark made
the booth attendant visibly uncomfortable: he started wading and
gasping for air.  He was troubled because when things are presented
this way, the shallowness of one's understanding of crucial system
components becomes impossible to disguise.  Ironically it is the
knowledge of these very components which lie outside the kernel
that examinations like LinuC measure.

I had noticed that their textbook mentions neither sed nor awk.  It is
hard for me to envision someone claiming UNIX proficiency with no
experience with sed and awk.

Opening the Software Toolbox
by Arnold Robbins
https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Opening-the-software-toolbox.html

How well one understands the above document, I believe, is a good
measure of UNIX proficiency.  Awk is not discussed in depth here,
but if you wish to solve real-life problems with this approach,
you need it.

One who adheres to the "It all started with one email in 1991" story
lacks a firm grasp of the operating system.  And people with this
level of understanding are making decisions on what is important and
what is not in "Linux."

I understand that Richard Stallman wants students to learn Lisp using
GNU and Emacs as the working environment.  On the other hand he is
along with Arnold Robbins an original author of GNU Awk.