Re: Setting up a wiki for GNU Project volunteers?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Setting up a wiki for GNU Project volunteers?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 17:02:46 +0100

Hello!

"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> skribis:

> In researching this kind of wiki setup I have discussed the issue with
> various GNU Maintainers and the consensus seems to be that such a
> system should have the following qualities:
> - Based on a VCS e.g. git
> - Uses a supported wiki platform e.g. dokuwiki
> - With a sensible markup e.g. markdown plugin for dokuwiki
>
> What do people think about setting up a wiki?
>
> Several packages already have wikis like:
> The GNOME Project (https://wiki.gnome.org/)
> The GNU C Library wiki (https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/)
> The GNU Debugger wiki (https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/)
> The GNU Compiler Collection wiki (https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki)
>
> However, we have no good central community wiki to put document those
> things listed above.
>
> Does anyone have a strong opinion on which wiki software should be used?
>
> Selection criteria for a wiki? I'm suggesting dokuwiki + git.

No strong opinion on the software as long as it meets the criteria above
+ i18n (though for some of the use cases you give, i18n might be less
important.)

<https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/> uses ikiwiki, which I think is
backed by Git and “not bad.”  :-)  The “wiki” could also just be Org or
Markdown files automatically rendered upon push (e.g., by Emacs or
Haunt).

Anyhow, I agree that it would be nice to have a place to share documents
about discussions, practices, things like the social contract, etc.

Thanks,
Ludo’.