Re: Setting up a wiki for GNU Project volunteers?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Setting up a wiki for GNU Project volunteers?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 22:53:40 +0100

On Tue 10 Dec 2019 19:25, "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> writes:

> Wikis are useful software that allows developers to work
> collaboratively and quickly on informal documents that are part of the
> day-to-day running of the packages or project activities.
>
> This includes documenting such things as:
> - Email thread summaries
> - Status updates
> - Meeting notes
> - Summaries of discussions around best practice activities
>
> In researching this kind of wiki setup I have discussed the issue with
> various GNU Maintainers and the consensus seems to be that such a
> system should have the following qualities:
> - Based on a VCS e.g. git
> - Uses a supported wiki platform e.g. dokuwiki
> - With a sensible markup e.g. markdown plugin for dokuwiki
>
> What do people think about setting up a wiki?

This makes sense to me.

My instinct would be to restrict access to GNU stakeholders:
maintainers, developers, and volunteers in the various GNU teams.  In
this way we would mitigate some "wiki risks" like defacement and some
kinds of bad faith edits.

Probably the wiki project would need a maintenance structure to manage
responsibility and to mediate disputes, like in other GNU projects.

I think given the general interest for a wiki, we can expect for this to
eventually be at wiki.gnu.org, though it may take some time for the
sysadminny things to come through so it could make sense to start off
gnu.org, depending on FSF sysadmin resource availability.

Regards,

Andy