Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 22:00:14 +0100

Jean Louis, le jeu. 02 janv. 2020 21:53:48 +0100, a ecrit:
> To say all in the context as you explained it would bring burden to
> developers who did not plan to make it for blind users.

And yet that's what *has* to be done. That's what we have achieved to a
large extent for internationalization.

> I suggest that any consent to provide software with features for
> blind users shall come from individual decisions and participations in
> such.

That's what has been going on for decades, and the conclusion is: that
doesn't work, there is not enough manpower such way. So the matter has
to come from more fundamental principles, to bring people into caring
about them.

> If you wish to make software accessible to blind users, file bugs, or
> program it for blind.

Been doing that for twenty years already.

But programmers have been inventing a lot of software in the meanwhile
too, so it's a never-ending lost battle. Really, compare that to
internationalization. If the GNU project hadn't taken care of putting
that into the GCS, programmers would have taken much less time in making
their software translable, handle non-ASCII, etc.

> Don't impose on GNU programmers such requirement,

As mentioned previously, it's even the UN itself which does impose it.

Samuel