Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 21:38:57 +0100

Hello Mark,

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 11:14:47PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> I personally like to call it the GNU Social Contract.  But some people
> do seem to get confused by the word contract.  Since it means promises
> we are making to each other and the broader Free Sofware community,
> maybe we should simply call Our GNU Promises?  Or a more long and
> boring title like: GNU Principles and Mission Statement? Or keeping
> social contract, but explain it as GNU Mission Statement and Social
> Contract?

admittedly, I like the name "GNU Social Contract", as a reference to
the Debian Social Contract as well as Rousseau. I wonder what it tells
about our time that people do not think of social philosophy, but
rather of civil law contracts when they hear the word "social contract"...

Your alternative suggestions lack somewhat in snappiness, if I may be
so bold. But if someone comes up with an alternative name that expresses
well the intentions behind the document and is short and to the point,
we should discuss it.

Andreas