Re: Endorsing version 1.0 of the GNU Social Contract

From: Andreas R.
Subject: Re: Endorsing version 1.0 of the GNU Social Contract
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 22:25:52 +0100

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 12:14:20PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> ams@gnu.org (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:
> > The wiki does not represent the views of the GNU project.  Nor will it
> > be hosted on GNU infrastructure, as was made quite clear by the head
> > of the GNU project.
>
> I think we all agree on this, and repeating it is not adding anything to
> the conversation.  The wiki has clearly been described by its creators
> as a tool for the *maintainers*.

The wiki has been described as a tool for *all* GNU maintainers, even though
it's only available to a certain subset of GNU maintainers willing to agree
to new stipulations that were never part of being a GNU maintainer.

The wiki's layout is ambiguous in its branding and text. This has been pointed
out and several posts have been made to this list that mistook gnu.tools
as an official channel. Thankfully the ambiguity is being addressed as the
wiki in some descriptions now identifies itself as the gnu.tools community.

Until this distinction becomes more clear, pointing out the difference helps
prevent misunderstanding.