Re: Endorsing version 1.0 of the GNU Social Contract

From: DJ Delorie
Subject: Re: Endorsing version 1.0 of the GNU Social Contract
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 16:12:04 -0500

"Andreas R." <avr@softwarelibre.nl> writes:
> The wiki has been described as a tool for *all* GNU maintainers, even
> though it's only available to a certain subset of GNU maintainers
> willing to agree to new stipulations that were never part of being a
> GNU maintainer.

The wiki states "currently limited to GNU Maintainers".  It does not
explicitly state that being a GNU maintainer is sufficient to guarantee
access, although it does state "wiki for GNU Maintainers".  I see no
ambiguity here, it's intended audience is GNU maintainers,
non-maintainers are not invited yet.

It states that the wiki is governed by a code of conduct.  In today's
legal climate, it's almost required to have such a thing when you invite
others to be contributors (such as GNU requiring a copyright assignment,
this wiki requires a CoC agreement).  The CoC does not seem onerous, it
basically says "don't be a jerk".  If your life goal is to be a jerk,
expect to be not welcome in all sorts of places, including GNU projects.

> Until this distinction becomes more clear, pointing out the difference
> helps prevent misunderstanding.

Incessantly pointing out the difference, as the sole point of an entire
email, does not add anything to the conversation.