Re: [Hangout - NYLXS] security alert... worth noting

From: Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss)
Subject: Re: [Hangout - NYLXS] security alert... worth noting
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:52:06 -0800

On 2020-02-13 20:52, Marcel wrote:
Hello Ruben,

Yesterday I received a couple of hundred repeat emails similar to the
one I am responding to (sometimes twice each, when I had already
received another original from the gnu-misc-discuss list). All of them
bear the [Hangout - NYLXS] label.

When this involuntary subscription started happening, I noted
the password I had been given and unsubscribed. The maling list
manager for NYLXS Hangout informed me that this operation was
successful.

Next morning, the messages started coming again. I repeated the
unsubscribe request, but I was informed that the password is
incorrect. In other words, I had been given a new involuntary
subscription with a different password.

At that point it became obvious that the next course of action was
to reject connections from that server at the SMTP level.

Not everyone has that control over their mail, unfortunately.