Re: Endorsing the GNU Social Contract

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Endorsing the GNU Social Contract
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 07:14:39 +0300

* Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss) <936-846-2769@kylheku.com> [2020-02-16 23:20]:
> On 2020-02-16 11:28, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > > The goal of the GNU Social Contract is to state the core values GNU
> > > maintainers who have endorsed it are committed to uphold.  It is both
> > > an agreement among us, GNU contributors, and a pledge to the broader
> > > free software community.
> >
> > Thank you all for working on this.
>
> That's not working; working is writing code, debugging, documenting,
> reviewing.
>
> This monkey business of social contracts is just political sport.
>
> People working on copylefted software need not share any "core values"
> other than that copylefted software.
>
> Someone working on the compiler front end can be a communist, whereas
> the type checker could be hacked on by (necessarily) a fascist.

That is right, thank you.

That is what keeps us together and bringing people together, a common
thing to us which is free software vision and GNU operating system,
that is peace making mechanism. Then we learn to accept each other as
well regardless of differences. GNU project was designed that way
since inception, it was designed well.

Making of anti-social contracts does not contribute to bring people
together based on common thing on which we agree, which is free
software. It is dividing people based on their behavior and acceptance
or rejection of certain rules. That is what GNU project never was, and
will not become.

Jean