Re: Endorsing version 1.0 of the GNU Social Contract

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: Endorsing version 1.0 of the GNU Social Contract
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 22:57:47 +0100

Le mercredi 12 février 2020, 19:50:49 CET Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss) a
écrit :
> On 2020-02-10 07:32, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > There were several pieces of feedback that were either not sent to the
> > public list, or are still held up in moderation.
>
> Maybe that contract should include a few clauses about not engaging
> in deceptive and illegal behavior.

I disagree in regards to illegal. RMS and then GNU and FSF (at least by
the past) as well supported the view according  which obeying an unjust
rule is unjust.  They never prominently encouraged actively a blatant law-
breaking, as I’ve rarely seen such ambitious initiatives in free-software
projects, beside warez, but changing that would be a loss, and a radical
change we shouldn’t take

There’s something present in several social movement, and in
free software and neuter/acentered internet as well that is called
“illegalism”.  It can be reconduced to civil disobedience. It is present
in anarchism.  This is a powerful tool, that’s part of «direct action”
(something you should be familiar with, given your behavior) that free-
software movement should be encouraged to use against hard things such as
DRM, tivoization, deceptive/emprisoning hardware, surveillance, etc.

> You should not be using the GNU logo in that website or the word "gnu"
> in the domain name.

Plenty of websites already do that.  See any GLUG or free-software distro
supportive of GNU, or even gnuplot’s website.  GNU is not really regarding
of brands.