Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:31:17 +0200

On 20.02.2020 14:41, Samuel Thibault wrote:

Okay, sure. But going back to Eli's point, the development activity of
individual projects is determined by individual project's members, and is
rarely affected by the actions of the leadership.

The activity by itself, yes, but the choice of where to start a new
project, or starting contributing an existing project, leadership does
have a lot of importance.

What kind of choice? Contributors come and go, largely depending on their own needs and interests.

And it's a more difficult endeavor (think Mozilla-type initiatives) than
just releasing a document saying "hi all we don't discriminate and accept
everyone", which is basically stating the already obvious.

 From seeing the discussions here, it doesn't seem so obvious :/

Really? For all the shouting and stomping of feet, I haven't seen here any one email stating or even implying that the gender or the race of a contributor is somehow important, or that we'd turn somebody away because of it.

On the flip side, an argument is made that your initiative might make GNU more exclusionary because of the extra conditions on what it takes to be a part of it.