Re: avoiding the bias in vocabulary

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: avoiding the bias in vocabulary
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:20:06 +0100

On 19/02/2020 23:26, Alexandre François Garreau wrote:
> Le samedi 15 février 2020, 18:56:21 CET Daniel Pocock a écrit :
>
>> There are a lot of words used in various discussions today that have
>
>> some bias.
>

>> For example, the word /ban/ is quite disparaging to the victim. Simply
>
>> using the word continues the bias.
>

>> From a technical perspective, banning somebody from a mailing list and
>
>> censoring somebody on a mailing list are both achieved by clicking the
>
>> same button.
>

>> Use the word ban, it leaves a lingering feeling that the volunteer may
>
>> have done something questionable.
>

>> Use the word censor, it implies the organization is avoiding some
>
>> questions.
>

> Use the word “moderate” it implies something has gone (irrelevantly?)
> too much or excessive;

No two people have the same definition of too much or too little.

To put it another way, each person values a different set of issues.

Avoiding the issue by ridiculing the person is a disturbing trend.

Making character attacks against somebody because /you/ think they
respond too quickly is as bad as kicking people out when somebody else
thinks they didn't respond quickly enough.

The only course of action left is for people to sit in the middle and
not say anything controversial, in other words, sell their souls to the
gods of groupthink.

> use the word “toxic” it implies you’re contaminated (it’s transitive),
> from an evil you can’t see right-away.

That reminds me of the woman who gives talks about humiliating people.
I'm not a fan of the term toxic woman but that's the expression that
comes to mind.

enforcement => bullying

safe space => cult

community => unpaid workforce

twitter storm => lynching

harassment (in a free software community) => speaking truth to power

Regards,

Daniel

--
Debian Developer