Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 12:54:19 -0500

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 11:16:15PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> But I'm saying that what newcomers mostly see nowadays is the github
> trend. And thus will not even be aware of its problems and the GNU
> project alternative. If GNU does not make actual efforts to be
> attractive (without leaving out its goal, of course), its message will
> not get received by new generations.

I agree one hundred percent.

Therefore I'm extremely dissapointed that recently a small group of
GNU maintainers has started spreading nagative and misleading propaganda
about others within GNU,  has started pressuring people to "endorse" a
particular set of values - leaving the implications for non-endorsement
menacingly unspecified,  demanding conformance to rules - sometimes
capricious ones - which have no relevance to GNU, and spreading of
extremist and quite orthogonal rhetoric.   To add insult to injury the
same people spout self-righteous bombastry implying that only their
opinions are valid ones.

None of these actions are going to attract people to GNU.  Quite the opposite.
They are driving people away.   It has to stop - and the sooner the better.

J'