Re: The General Public Licence (GPL) as the basic governance tool

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: The General Public Licence (GPL) as the basic governance tool
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 00:24:41 +0300

* Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> [2020-02-23 00:05]:
> Hello Eli,
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> skribis:
>
> > I always thought that maintaining a GNU project according to the
> > guidelines I was communicated when I was appointed _is_ upholding GNU
> > values, that it's all there is in upholding them, as applied to my job
> > as the maintainer.  But you seem to be saying there's something else
> > there?  What is that?
>
> Quoth RMS¹:
>
>   GNU package maintainers have committed to do work to maintain and add
>   to the GNU system, but not anything beyond that.  We have never
>   pressed contributors to endorse the GNU Project philosophy, or any
>   other philosophical views, because people are welcome to contribute to
>   GNU regardless of their views.
>
> The GNU Social Contract is about changing that.

May I try to see how?

"GNU package maintainers have committed to do work to maintain and add
to the GNU system, and they will need to commit to many other rules
and regulations to become GNU package maintainers. For now we have the
version 1.0. and we will be imposing onto GNU package maintainers code
of conducts, and regulations in versions 2.0 and 3.0 until their
behavior becomes acceptable to our non authorized GNU governance (Ludo
and company). We will press contributors to endorse the GNU project
philosophy, and if they don't endorse, we will ban them. We will press
GNU contributors to accept other philosophical views, such as those of
Jean-Jacques Rousseau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract)
as if they don't endorse Rousseau's Social Contract, we will ban
them as GNU contributors, and finally, people will not be welcome to
contribute if they have their views that do not conform to our own
views, as what we think how person should live is right, and other
people should have exact same thinking and behavior as we do -- as we
are right, and they are wrong, so we will ban them!

Ha ha ha ha

Jean