Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 00:44:42 +0300

* Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss) <936-846-2769@kylheku.com> [2020-02-23 00:30]:
> On 2020-02-22 12:50, Jean Louis wrote:
> > * Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@gnu.org> [2020-02-22 23:45]:
> > > Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss), le sam. 22 févr. 2020 10:22:55
> > > -0800, a ecrit:
> > > If nobody is there to hold their hand, I don't see a reason why they
> > > would listen to the free software goals.
> >
> > I am in agreement with you. Why not make your free software philosophy
> > seminar somewhere? Promote the free software philosophy.
>
> This is not going to be an easy seminar. Today, your audience will
> not consist of people who use downloaded and installed applications on
> a PC or Mac for which we'd like them to have free alternatives on
> a free OS, or even on that same non-free OS in some cases.

It does not matter. That was always so. Wasn't it?

> You will have to have solid answers for people who are tied to
> proprietary services that execute somewhere in a cloud.

I don't see a problem. I talk to people face to face about proprietary
software every day, and problems are solved by installing free
software on their computers and devices, so they may be tied, but we
cut it off by communicating about it.

> If you're unlucky that day, a heckler in the audience will speak up
> about how Free Software cheerfully provides much of the
> infrastructure that powers the exploitation.

It requires some skills to handle hacklers, but in some countries,
hacklers are non-existent, so it is not my specific concern. I will
try to do what I can myself.

Jean