Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 22:55:26 +0100

Alexandre François Garreau, le sam. 22 févr. 2020 22:46:11 +0100, a ecrit:
> Le samedi 22 février 2020, 21:15:19 CET Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> > Alexandre François Garreau, le sam. 22 févr. 2020 13:50:49 +0100, a
> ecrit:

> > > Do the same metrics with other projects, possibly linked but faarer,
> > > included in GNU(/Linux) OS, be it Linux, Xorg packages, (La)TeX, KDE,
> > > Gnome, etc.
> >
> > That would allow to compare with other free software projects, yes. But
> > what I'm after is not comparing with other free software projects, but
> > with other places where people may want to contribute. Places which are
> > not necessarily so much about free software and do not aim to be, such
> > as github.
>
> But then it is not really specifically about GNU anymore…
>
> And if something between github vs. the rest is to be learnt… then this is
> something to be learn to how much SaaS (“cloud”)-based platforms are
> preferred to self-hosting… this does not indicate anything toward what to
> do.  It is obvious that centralization and uniformity is more simple hence
> more attractive… but we shouldn’t do it anyway…

I guess "place" was a wrong word to mentioned what I meant.

I'm not talking about the host platform by itself, but the community. A
lot of people on github don't necessarily think much about free
software. Not attracting people to GNU projects means they'll go to such
other communities, where the goals of free software are not exposed.

Samuel