Re: lese majeste

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: lese majeste
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 15:39:04 +0100

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 02:19:57AM -0500, John Darrington wrote:
> Now we see where we're heading if we're not vigilant:
> 1.  A code of conduct which outlaws insulting messages.
> 2.  An influential minority providing "governence".
> 3.  The "governence" deciding what is and isn't "insulting" ...

Well, there is of course some subjectivity in what constitutes an insult
and what does not. But quite often, it is frankly not debatable. You are
not claiming that the "you are sick" I complained about is anything but
an insult? Mike pointed out a few other messages with clear insults in them.

This creates a terrible atmosphere, in which people think twice before they
post on the list and put themselves out to abuse and harrassment. In the end,
only the abusers and a few people of good faith with exceptionally thick skin
remain in the discussion; that is definitely not a desirable situation.

Andreas