Harrassment on this list

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Harrassment on this list
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 19:50:23 +0100

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 01:04:45PM -0500, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> A code of conduct will not sovle the issue.  Kind communication will,
> your message like the previous poster are both unkind.

Well, stating that a person who is victim of abuse and complains about it
sends an "unkind" message is one of the patterns of communication I am
criticising. It confounds the victim and the aggressor. Very unkind indeed!
How do you expect to attract people to this mailing list, or to the GNU
project at large, in this way?

> If you really want to help, I suggest you ask people to follow the GNU
> Kind Communication Guidelines, and help in creating a welcoming
> atmosphere not by asking for people to be moderated but by encouraging
> kindness.

So far, I have not got the impression that asking aggressive people to
communicate kindly has had any effect (while I think I have mostly succeeded
in communicating kindly myself); all that happens is doubling down on insults
and aggressiveness. Do you suggest I send out numbered requests?
"For the 76th time, please communicate kindly!" And for how long do you
suggest to continue sending out pleas that are not heeded?

What do you suggest when people obstinately refuse to communicate kindly?
That is exactly where sanctions ultimately can solve the issue, so unlike
your first line, I think that a code of conduct can solve such problems.
In any case, we observe on this list that appeals to kindness do not
solve the issue. So maybe it is time to try something else.

Andreas