Re: Harrassment on this list

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: Harrassment on this list
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 22:36:37 -0500

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 21:21:18 +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> The reason I have been insisting is that inaction towards this kind of
> behaviour kills communication in the GNU project - if victims of verbal
> abuse are expected to change their opinions to stop the name calling,
> or are invited to be less susceptible, they will eventually just leave,
> and their example will prevent others from joining. And as has been amply
> demonstrated, just brandishing guidelines without options for sanctions
> does not solve the problem.

Personal attacks and unkind communication are not acceptable.  They
should be denounced and can be moderated as a last resort.

But please understand the situation that we have been put in.  The
topics discussed here are extremely controversial.  It's all too easy
for people to be offended by one-another, or to interpret one-another's
words especially harshly.

If one particular group of people is behaving more kindly than others,
then that is good---that group is acting as the better example for kind
communication.  Others acting unkindly, even if they feel as though they
are defending GNU, are in the wrong.

But coming to this list, raising an inflammatory topic, and then
demanding that moderation be used as a tool to reduce tensions is not
acceptable either.  We'll strike a balance.

--
Mike Gerwitz