Re: address@hidden: Please remove me from your address@hidden or address

From: Marcel
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 00:40:38 +0700

On 2/24/20 12:28 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
Taylan Kammer wrote:
I've had the same problem.  No idea what he's trying to achieve...

What I see is indistinguishable from spam but with more annoying intention (I get into this in detail below) amounting to harassment. I'm surprised that this behavior is tolerated and not identified as a source of unkind communication.

Anyhow, you can make the ML mail you your password and then use it to unsubscribe. That will put an end to the annoying [Hangout - NYLXS] mails consisting of broken
up threads and a good amount of spam.
In my case that did not work. At first I couldn't reach the Mailman server at all to get to the web front end. Now I can get to it but I'm told that I am not a subscriber because his Mailman instance doesn't see my email address on its subscriber list for that "Hangout" mailing list. Messages to villian@mrbrklyn.com are going to me, and correspondingly I've been receiving messages with villian@mrbrklyn.com's Mailman password.

Therefore I believe that ruben@mrbrklyn.com has set up a forwarding address of "villian@mrbrklyn.com" and made it so that email to that address is routed to me. I can only imagine that the benefit to him is that if anyone he does this to complains, he can falsely claim that they're not subscribed when clearly they are receiving the unsolicited messages. In other words, this is intentional.