Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 10:49:02 +0200

On 25.02.2020 3:58, Alexandre François Garreau wrote:
Regarding punishing repeat offenders anyway, as we've seen just
recently, you can't censor a determined individual on a public mailing
list anyway. Limit their audience, sure, but banning them outright seems
impossible. And I can hardly see the whole GNU project migrating off
mailing lists.

If new younger people come in charge and want to succeed to “compete” with
github, gitlab, etc. I can see how they’d like to replace mailing-lists
with gitlab or other SaaSS-like web software…

They would replace it with Discourse, which is web-based, but also Free Software. I personally would probably endorse that, but it indeed needs a browser to use. Or specialized clients using the web API, etc.

You might think support for proprietary OSes and “endorsement” of them (of
proprietary software in general, non-endorsement of the strict GNU
philosophy (which isn’t even actually so well described in the social
contract as to imply that proprietary software, should, indeed, stop to
exist, I believe)) are not anyhow related… but actually to support
something, you need to test it, to use it, and to know how good it is in
comparision with other similar uses on the same platform.  That’s why
emacs OS X port is known to be pretty good.  There are people using it.

It's actually the worst port among the main three, AFAIK. Not to say it's bad (it's usable, and it's fairly popular), but we collectively have less macOS knowledge, and Apple liked to shake things up in its releases.