Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 15:22:52 +0100

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 08:56:24AM -0500, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> The text circulated is not a text by or for the GNU project, so this
> is indeed not the best place for discussion of it

Quite on the contrary, it is a text by members of the GNU Project for the
GNU Project.

> seeing that those
> wanting to discuss the text refuse to discuss it here, it might just
> as well be worth moving any such discussions to their web site.

May I remind you that we have been elaborating this text from the start
on this list, and that this openness is indeed one of our goals? The
first draft was actually circulated already in October:
   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2019-10/msg00050.html
Since then and until opening the endorsement period, we have been
discussing the document on this list (just look for threads having
"social contract" in their title), and feedback from the list has been
continuously integrated into the document (including feedback by you,
Alfred, if I remember correctly).

I am not sure who you mean by "they"; if I am included, then I would say
that I am happy to discuss the GNU Social Contract here if people wish
to do so, but that I am not pushing for it. It has been discussed on this
list for several months, and version 1.0 was posted on February 10th.
Maybe you want to reopen the discussion for creating a version 1.1, but
this strikes me as premature for a document that has just been finished and
needs to pass the test of time.

Andreas