Re: feeling intimidated for endorsing the GNU social contract

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: feeling intimidated for endorsing the GNU social contract
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 21:41:27 -0500

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 00:38:25 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>> Moderation of this list was taken over because moderators were supposed
>> to have been appointed by GNU leadership.  That was a procedural error,
>> which was no fault of your own and I apologize for, and has since been
>> addressed so that it doesn't happen again.
>
> Which is a funny meta-discussion when the list is used to define what
> "GNU leadership" means :)

Yes, my phrasing was intentional.

I understand that you disagree with and want to change how GNU is
governed, but refusing to acknowledge the current leadership doesn't
change what it is.

>> > The FSF keeps ignoring our calls for a neutral discussion space.
>>
>> The FSF is not involved in GNU governance, so why should they provide
>> such a thing?
>
> Of course the FSF is involved in GNU governance. They raise money in
> the name of GNU, we assign copyright to the FSF, they hold all our
> assets, and they keep lists of people who may use those resources for
> which purposes. The FSF is the legal entity which runs GNU. We should
> coordinate governance issues with the FSF. There are lots of issues
> which are the shared responsibility of GNU volunteers and the
> FSF. After discussions on this list we sent various of those issues to
> the FSF so we can better coordinate:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2019-12/msg00026.html

We're talking past one-another, which is unfortunate, because it makes
it difficult to have constructive conversation.

I do hope that in the near future the FSF will make a direct and
unambiguous statement on this matter, because I don't see any other way
to resolve this dispute.

--
Mike Gerwitz