Re: GPL violations and DMCA enforcements on Github

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: GPL violations and DMCA enforcements on Github
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 22:40:31 +0300

* Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> [2020-11-01 22:27]:
>    >    This again shows that the paper work demanded by FSF and GNU project
>    >    protects both projects from potential legal liabilities in the
>    >    future. One should appreciate the peaceful use of free software as
>    >    distributed by GNU and FSF for that reason.
>    >
>    > These specific examples do not show that in the least -- copyright
>    > assignments would not have helped here.  Even the FSF would have to
>    > comply with a DMCA notice just as any other entity in the USA.
>
>    That I understand.
>
>    Yet the risk probability is minimized down to almost nothing.
>
> You do not show that, nor is that what you claimed.  Copyright
> assignments have no bearing on if DMCA enforcment is reduced or
> increased.

You are right there.

I am rather thinking on the method how Github accepts everybody in
pretty anonymous way and manner. People may reuse the code as they
wish and sooo many don't put attention on licensing. That is why
there are thousands and thousands of DMCA complaints.

The manner and method how GNU project accepts new software is quite
different, it requires evaluation so there is some process where
parties meet each other better than only being anonymous like on
Github. Then people actually signed copyright assignments and sent it
to FSF, e.g.

When there is opportunity for 1000 people to place whatever code they
wish and want with or without license and where there is lack of
teaching on licensing, unlike GNU is doing from the first page, then
there is higher chance that people will be misunderstanding or
violating licenses by knowing or not knowing it.

The GNU process minimalizes possibilities that code is re-used
contrary to copyright laws. Not that it was designed to avoid DMCA. It
is a side effect that there are no many, if any, DMCA notices on GNU
software. I cannot know it precisely, all I know is that I did not
hear of it yet.