Re: Web versions

From: Colby Russell
Subject: Re: Web versions
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 17:47:31 -0500

On 3/14/21 1:25 PM, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
The same is absolutley not true for Javascript or Webassembly, it is
nigh impossible to download the full set of scripts and other code to
run it locally.
You have your thumb on the scale.  The context is a copy of the GNU
operating system built to run on the platform that is universally
available to essentially everyone in the world without even trying: the
runtime that is built into commodity web browser.s

This conversation is filled with subtle attempts to substitute the thing
that's actually on the table with a strawman that no one is proposing;
you want those talking about the browser runtime as a compilation target
to take responsibility for traditional web apps.

The problems inherent to traditional web apps are neither here nor
there.

If I make available a ZIP file containing a file libre.x.htm which takes
as input an image of the GNU operating system (shipped within the same
ZIP file), then there are *ZERO* web servers involved--at least to no
greater degree than traditional distributions' package repositories--and
of course I may at my choice place those files on a computer of my own
that makes them accessible via HTTP, thus protecting my freedom and
allowing me to exercise it to the greatest extent possible in hostile
environments where I am otherwise required to use proprietary systems.

--
Colby Russell