Re: Web versions

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Web versions
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 01:26:58 +0300

* Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> [2021-03-16 00:14]:
> Lets try to stick to one topic, and not fan out so much?  That is,
> running software in a web browser that you download from someone elses
> server.

I have downloaded so much software in last 24 hours as I was
installing new OS (Parabola), so I have downloaded it from some server
and I run it.

If I download software into Emacs, I run it in Emacs.

Then there is Racket interface, I could download scheme and run it in
Racket interface (but did not do).

Difference is that browser software would be compiled. But I could as
well download byte code for Emacs and run it, it is also kind of
obfuscated in that sense.

>    There are now many Javascript application such as notes, where all
>    users' data remain in the browser, nothing is stored on the remote
>    server. That is good development.
>
> It is not, since such a program could just as well be run locally,
> without the dependancy on someone else infrastructure.  If that server
> goes away, you're shit out of luck.

I am sure you are mistaken there. I said, there are now applications
(at least I know about them now), that run quite everything on your
computer, through browser. So there is no server dependency.

TiddlyWiki note taking in a browser
https://tiddlywiki.com/

That is one good example. You can edit notes and save it, all locally,
it works offline.

Or https://nullboard.io/preview

Such applications work offline in browser. No need for network.