Re: Web versions

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Web versions
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 10:34:56 +0300

* Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281@gmail.com> [2021-03-18 01:32]:
> > I would like to have Emacs in Webassembly. Somebody is already working
> > in that direction with Emacs fork: https://github.com/emacs-ng/emacs-ng
> >
> > Regarding "web security policies, I would not know what it means.
>
> Rules like the same-origin policy and the other browser sandbox rules that
> limit the harm that can be done by "Web" programs to the user.  These rules,
> for example, could make using a browser-based R difficult because it might
> not be able to connect and retrieve public datasets.

Last days I have been researching those Webassembly programs and I
found that it is possible to upload data into browser, including fetch
data from remote sources, and including communicate with foreign
ports. It is possible to run databases, use local and remote files.

Maybe you know more about details. That is impression I have got.

> > If there is Emacs in Webassembly, it gives me freedom to operate my
> > business remotely. Security is provided by SSL and username/password
> > related to the database that I would access.
>
> ...until the cybercafe computer you used to access your server turns out to
> have been recording your keystrokes and now Mallory also has your
> username/password...

I am well aware of keystroke recording programs, and those which read
the passing insecure network data.