Re: Truth matters when writing software and selecting leaders

From: Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss)
Subject: Re: Truth matters when writing software and selecting leaders
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 05:33:51 -0700

On 2021-03-24 19:13, Akira Urushibata wrote:
Richard Stallman recently announced at LibrePlanet that he would
return to the FSF board.  Soon after this announcement, many articles
appeared online stating strong objection to his return.

I have read several of them and I do not like what I see.

I see lies. For instance:

    "RMS has spent years on a campaign against using people’s correct
     pronouns. This is poorly disguised transphobia. [...]
     The main page on his web site includes the statement that
     “‘They’ is plural — for singular antecedents, use singular
     gender-neutral pronouns.”"

     [https://rms-open-letter.github.io/appendix]

But the references given completely contradict this claim.
Did they not read the material, one has to wonder.

RMS didn't like "they" used as a singular, due to issues such
as a ambiguities of reference (is the antecedent the two people
mentioned, or just the latter?) He invented gender-neutral pronouns
and uses them. Those pronouns carry no indication of someone's
biological gender or sexual identity.

This shows that RMS cares about the issue and has put in more effort
into respectful communication than many an editor of a random
LGBTQ newsletter.

The individuals and organizations who signed the petitition added
their names under a letter that contains or references
bare-faced lies.

I don't understand why anyone would do that, even if they support
the removal for some other reasons which seem valid to per.

One's name is a very important asset; when you sign it under
a document which contains lies, without being deceived or coerced,
you severely tarnish that asset.