Re: Truth matters when writing software and selecting leaders

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: Truth matters when writing software and selecting leaders
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 21:10:15 -0500

Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss) wrote:
RMS didn't like "they" used as a singular, due to issues such
as a ambiguities of reference (is the antecedent the two people
mentioned, or just the latter?) He invented gender-neutral pronouns
and uses them. Those pronouns carry no indication of someone's
biological gender or sexual identity.

RMS's preferred-use pronoun "person" is not his own invention; it was used in a book that (ambiguously) depicted a future androgynous utopia. (Was the utopia a vision of a future or just the viewpoint character's hallucination?) I have objected to it previously on the grounds that the possessive form "per" is also a preposition in English and its use in both roles makes text difficult to read, although I admit that I have yet to find an instance where it introduces an unresolvable ambiguity. In the end, I am fine with it as a quirk of RMS's own speech and writing, but I do push to keep it and other invented pronouns out of GNU project documents and policy statements, where they could be stumbling blocks for readers for whom English is a second (or third or fourth or ...) language.

One's name is a very important asset; when you sign it under
a document which contains lies, without being deceived or coerced,
you severely tarnish that asset.

Some people do not seem to have that concept or any notion of honor at all other than a means to manipulate others who do have those.

-- Jacob