Re: assessment of the GNU Assembly project

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: assessment of the GNU Assembly project
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 10:22:18 +0300

* Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com> [2021-05-01 04:46]:
> I don't see a problem in that interaction, I think people were being
> sufficiently patient with a person who was being arguably obnoxious.

They want diversity, inclusiveness, but they act exclusively from
their viewpoint, for example that everybody must express themselvs
"nice" how they deem it fit. Yet planet Earth is full of diverse
people.  It is in relation to the Guix's code of conduct:
https://github.com/pjotrp/guix/blob/master/CODE-OF-CONDUCT

As contributors and maintainers of this project, and in the interest of
fostering an open and welcoming community, we pledge to respect all
people who contribute through reporting issues, posting feature
requests, updating documentation, submitting pull requests or patches,
and other activities.

We are committed to making participation in this project a
harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of level of
experience, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation,
disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age,
religion, or nationality.

Person come along and says: <gnutec>So for the good of the guix
system, do what I ask. Please!

and then gets bombarded with rejection until he disappears from IRC
chat.

He already said "Please", but IRC participants don't like the
imperative. I have no problem with imperative neither with
understanding that this guy had a problem and also good intentions.

He is told that he does not behave nice, etc. I cannot see enough
reasons to justify the rejection of that person.

It gives me impression that none of IRC participants truly think of
the code of conduct.

> If you pretend that CoCs exist for people to follow like they're law,
> sure this would seem hypocritical.  The way I see it, they exist as a
> rough guideline and a place to refer to once an actual problem comes
> up.

The actual problem has been demonstrated, the use of sexualized
language is just there. They never handle the problem.

What you again refer to is the biased decision making. They use it on
those who disagree, in general, when it is not one of them.

> What this means in practice is that someone who is genuinely offended by
> the f-word *could* complain about it, and the Guix maintainers would
> listen.  I'm actually almost certain that if this happened, the result
> would be in favor of the person complaining about the use of the
> f-word.

I am not.

> > Please note: I promote Guix all the time, 24 hours per day, and I have
> > no personal hate against anybody!
>
> Yes, sure, it definitely shows that you have no personal hate against
> anybody at all from the way you title your emails. ;-)

I understand the irony, but no, I don't have. We speak of public
figures and their actions. Criticizing something is not hate. That is
why words are different.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns