Re: obtaining source with Guix (was: The anti-GNU defamatory group of Lu

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: obtaining source with Guix (was: The anti-GNU defamatory group of Ludovic Courtès - Re: assessment of the GNU Assembly project)
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 00:03:30 -0500

Arun Isaac wrote:
In general, I don't find it easy to find source code for package
"hello".

Don't know what you're talking about. It's very easy to get source code
for a package. For example,

$ guix build -S hello

While we are drifting off-topic for this list, perhaps a more user-friendly option might be a "guix get-source" command? As in,

$ guix get-source hello

would materialize the source tree for "hello" in the current directory? Or at least retrieve the sources and report where they are now located?

Another variation on the theme would be a "guix source get" command that downloads sources to the local pool and a "guix source unpack" that materializes a source tree "here".

Fundamentally, this is a user experience complaint, although it does involve a critical feature.

-- Jacob