Re: Censorship protest relevance (was: Re: Continuation of my previous m

From: DJ Delorie
Subject: Re: Censorship protest relevance (was: Re: Continuation of my previous mail)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 15:00:53 -0400

shulie <shulie_release@optimum.net> writes:
> That is MOSTLY, but not completely true.  The Phone company, for
> example, can not disconnect you because your a communist.

That's an example of the contract thing I mentioned.  They entered into
a contract where, in exchange for a temporary monopoly, they agreed to
operate under certain rules.  Most scarce resources (roads, radio
spectrum, etc) are managed this way here.

You can certainly make your own private phone company and kick out
whoever you want, but don't expect the same benefits that big phone
company gets.

The interesting question is: what will happen when the government starts
*forcing* companies to follow these rules, without compensation?  That's
where the censorship argument comes into play, and possibly the Fifth
Amendment (government can't just "take" without compensation).