Re: cURL author receives rude LogJ4 security inquiry

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: cURL author receives rude LogJ4 security inquiry
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 23:07:47 +0300

* dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> [2022-01-31 22:33]:
> JL> Let people choose if they wish to pay or they wish to download it free
> JL> of charge.
>
> Well, any Anglophone would call this a donation.  Judging from your
> written command of English, I suspect "donation" means something
> different in your native tongue, possibly an exchange in the "Indian
> giver" sense.

No, I meant donation as in English.

donation

* Overview of noun donation

The noun donation has 2 senses (first 2 from tagged texts)
1. (2) contribution, donation -- (a voluntary gift (as of money or service or
ideas) made to some worthwhile cause)
2. (1) contribution, donation -- (act of giving in common with others for a
common purpose especially to a charity)

Everyone is free to offer things for free and to give it for free in
the same time. Just that you are not used to that, just because it is
not common, it does not mean it is not valid way of making money.

SugarCRM used that principle for quite a long time, but now they
stopped giving away the free software version.

Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/ is doing that since quite some
time, they are not blocking you to read the news, but asking you to
pay. You can call it donation, payment, as you wish. You do get some
benefits when you pay, for example you would most probably not get
reminded over and over again to pay it.

There are many ways to do money with free software. It is up ot
distributor to decide how to sell it or how to ask for money.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/