Re: Richard Stallman should be reinstated to President of the FSF

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman should be reinstated to President of the FSF
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:29:18 +0300

* inasprecali <inasprecali@disroot.org> [2022-02-21 13:18]:
> dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Now that the war's been won
>
> Has it?  Last time I checked, the vast majority of personal
> computing devices are still running a fully proprietary operating
> system, together with mostly proprietary applications.

That is my impression, though it is also right that we have such
increase of usage of free software, after 2 decades of observation on
my side.

> > [1] No one cares about the theoretical distinction between open
> > source and libre.
>
> The expression "No one" in the English language means exactly what
> it says on the tin.  Such a quantifier means exactly *zero* people
> (or more formally, an empty set of people).  To disprove this
> universal claim, it is enough for one (1) counterexample to exist,
> and I am such one counterexample (and I’m probably far from being
> the only one).  You’re obviously entitled to your personal
> opinion, but please don’t make the childish mistake of
> generalizing it to a universal truth.

That people do care there are evidences all over Internet in their
software licenses and how they express themselves, though I consider
all of us friends who go more or less practically into same direction
of having free software and thus freedom. Some will complain more and
be louder, some will not complain at all and play their free or
non-free games on proprietary or free systems, though we are all one
quite distinguished group of free software users.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/