Re: Free Software and the New Sexism

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: Free Software and the New Sexism
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:04:47 +0200

On 28.08.2023 06:40, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
> Taylan Kammer wrote:
>> I genuinely care about sexism.  The commonly recognized kind, that targets
>> women.
>>

> The fundamental problem here is that all of the issues these CoC documents
> are supposed to address are entirely off-topic and inappropriate in a
> software development context.  Sexism, racism, whatever-ism-of-the-day are
> all irrelevant because discussions are supposed to focus on the /software/
> instead of on the /people/ writing the software.  Yes, your patch proposing
> to add "sex" to Guix's CoC was wrong, but the CoC itself is wrong in the same
> way as your patch:  none of those issues are relevant.
>
> Put another way, on the Internet, to other users, you are not a person, you
> are a stream of messages.  More idealistically, on the Internet, /you/ /are/
> /your/ /ideas/.
>
> Efforts to thwart that, efforts to carry real-world baggage into the Internet
> space, are, put simply, /wrong/, not that this seems to stop much of anyone
> anymore.  We are now beginning to reap the consequences of this bad behavior.
>

> -- Jacob

I think the way you've put it is a bit extreme, because not everyone
is able to get into the mindset that other people are just streams of
text.  After all, they also meet in real life conferences and whatnot.

But that's an aside.

I think it would be fine if projects like Guix didn't have any CoC at
all.  It would be a vast improvement over the current situation, which
is having a CoC that takes a side on contentious political conflicts
that are not directly relevant to free software.

--
Taylan