Re: Free Software and the New Sexism

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: Free Software and the New Sexism
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 00:43:33 +0200

Thank you, I pretty much agree with all you've said.

The GNU KCG seems to side-step the whole "sex vs. gender identity"
debacle by just saying "gender" which can be interpreted to mean
either.  (Whether that was intentional, I don't know.)  It could be
left the way it is if everyone's fine with that, or the explicit
listing of characteristics could be preemptively removed to avoid
similar issues to this one; I think either way is fine.

<aside>
If anyone who's accused me of "trying to push my world view on others"
or such in the past is reading this: If that were the case, I would be
lobbying to have the word "gender" replaced with "sex" because the two
aren't synonyms in my world view.  I'm perfectly fine with the text
saying "gender" and leaving the interpretation up to the reader, and
wouldn't dare to suggest that it should say "sex" while leaving out
"gender identity", precisely because I don't want such documents to
put one world-view over another.
</aside>

I've also come to think it's fine to not have a CoC at all beyond a
simple statement like "treat others kindly."  That, coupled with the
rule "no politics or religion," is all we've been using for a while in
a community of a few dozen members that formed around a project I've
started a while ago (bg3.wiki) and we seem to be doing perfectly fine.

I wish Guix used the GNU KCG instead of the Contributor Covenant, or
ditched the CoC altogether.  But I have no hope of convincing them.
I hope this discussion will, at minimum, serve to put it on record
that the CoC used by Guix and many others, the Contributor Covenant,
is controversial and arguably better to avoid.

- Taylan