grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.12 release - update

From: Michael Chang
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.12 release - update
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:46:45 +0800

Dear Daniel,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 04:52:09PM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are getting closer to the 2.12 release. Sadly we still do not have
> many of important patch sets in the tree. So, I am going to spend more
> time on reviews in the following weeks. Below you can find my list of
> key patch sets which should land in the release:
>   - Dynamic allocation of memory regions and IBM vTPM v2,
>   - Unify ARM64 & RISC-V Linux Loader,
>   - Add support for LoongArch,
>   - plainmount: Support plain encryption mode,
>   - Glenn's tests fixes.
>
> Of course all patches which got my RB or are under review will be merged too.
>
> There is also "nice to have" list but I do not consider lack of this
> patch sets as release blockers:
>   - Add support for EFI file system transposition,
>   - term/serial: Add support for PCI serial devices,
>   - Add MMIO serial ports support and SPCR detection,
>   - Glenn's gdb patch set.
>
> I hope I will be able to review and merge all patch sets from first list
> during November. Then if everything goes well we will make code freeze
> in December and release at the beginning of next year, preferably in January.
>
> I am considering to not block merges for tests and documentation during
> code freeze.
>
> If you have any comments on that plan please drop me a line.

Is there any chance to get argon2 support [1] in 2.12 ? Given the required
memory manager patch has been merged to allow allocating huge chunks of
data in heap, it seems all is ready to go now ?

This is the major feature brought by LUKS2 making it really a successor
to LUKS1 IMHO.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2021-08/msg00027.html

Thanks,
Michael