grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.12 release - update

From: Patrick Steinhardt
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.12 release - update
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 07:32:19 +0100

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 10:46:45AM +0800, Michael Chang via Grub-devel wrote:
> Dear Daniel,
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 04:52:09PM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are getting closer to the 2.12 release. Sadly we still do not have
> > many of important patch sets in the tree. So, I am going to spend more
> > time on reviews in the following weeks. Below you can find my list of
> > key patch sets which should land in the release:
> >   - Dynamic allocation of memory regions and IBM vTPM v2,
> >   - Unify ARM64 & RISC-V Linux Loader,
> >   - Add support for LoongArch,
> >   - plainmount: Support plain encryption mode,
> >   - Glenn's tests fixes.
> >
> > Of course all patches which got my RB or are under review will be merged
> > too.
> >
> > There is also "nice to have" list but I do not consider lack of this
> > patch sets as release blockers:
> >   - Add support for EFI file system transposition,
> >   - term/serial: Add support for PCI serial devices,
> >   - Add MMIO serial ports support and SPCR detection,
> >   - Glenn's gdb patch set.
> >
> > I hope I will be able to review and merge all patch sets from first list
> > during November. Then if everything goes well we will make code freeze
> > in December and release at the beginning of next year, preferably in
> > January.
> >
> > I am considering to not block merges for tests and documentation during
> > code freeze.
> >
> > If you have any comments on that plan please drop me a line.
>
> Is there any chance to get argon2 support [1] in 2.12 ? Given the required
> memory manager patch has been merged to allow allocating huge chunks of
> data in heap, it seems all is ready to go now ?
>
> This is the major feature brought by LUKS2 making it really a successor
> to LUKS1 IMHO.

No, I don't think this would be realistic. I'd love to finally implement
it, and theoretically-speaking the patches I sent a while ago would work
now with the changes in the memory manager. But meanwhile libgcrypt has
landed support for Argon2, so using its implementation instead of the
reference implementation is very much preferable. Unfortunately though,
the version of libgcrypt we have in our tree is ancient, and updating it
to a more recent version is a _major_ effort.

I have taken a look at this several times already, but each time I
quickly felt overwhelmed with the adjustments I'd have to do to do this.
I do plan to have another go at it eventually, but if anybody else feels
like updating our vendored libgcrypt version I wouldn't mind at all.

Patrick